A cup of coffee, warm or iced, and a dreamy, moist and deeply Devil-icious Chocolate cake makes being on the Coast ever so memorable!
This recipe is a marriage of many recipes, but what I love is its simplicity in execution. There may seem to be a long list of ingredients, but prepare them in groups, and it is just a matter of mixing them all together.
Devil’s Dream Chocolate Cake
2 ¼ cup all purpose flour (I use King Arthur brand)
¾ cup cocoa powder (I use a natural and Dutch-processed combo premium powder)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 cup 2% milk
¼ cup espresso coffee
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks at room temperature)
2 cups granulated white sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Grease and line a 12”x8” oblong baking pan with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine all dry ingredients and place aside.
- Pour 2% milk with espresso into a microwave bowl; cook until just below boiling.
- Beat butter and sugar until creamy, add eggs and vanilla, and beat until smooth.
- Add ½ of dry ingredients to butter mixture and beat until incorporated. Pour in the warm 2% milk and espresso, and beat until mixture is smooth.
- Pour batter into baking pan, and bake for about 30 minutes, or until center is just done. (Do not overbake.) Cool before icing.
Melt 12 oz bag of semi-sweetened chocolate chips (Toll House works well) in the microwave for about a minute. Add 1 cup of whole milk to chocolate and microwave for another minute. Stir to combine, and reheat until chocolate is completely melted, but not boiled. Sitr in 1 tsp of vanilla extract until smooth. Let stand until cooled.
This icing is more liquid than most, but once you’ve drizzled it on the cake, you’ll understand why your first bite will not be your last! And, you’ll forget all the previous Devils you’ve known before! Have a great rest of the summer!