2 1/2 – 3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup white sugar
2 1/4 tsp (1 packet) active dry yeast
3/4 cup warm milk (approx 100•F)
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick) @ room temperature
1/2 cup maple syrup and 1/2 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
1. In small bowl or glass, dissolve brown sugar in warm milk. Add yeast, mix, and put aside for 15 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, combine 2 1/2 cup flour, salt and sugar together.
3. Add bubbled yeast mixture to dry ingredients. Stir with wooden spoon or using hands. Slowly add more flour until dough is well formed. Turn onto smooth surface and knead dough until smooth texture, adding flour as needed (10 minutes). Final dough should be slightly sticky. Form into ball.
4. Rub 2 tbsp butter all over inside of used bowl, and place ball of dough in center. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Place in warm spot and let rise for two hours or until double in size.
5. Using hands, roughly divide dough into four parts. Knead each one with a little added flour on smooth surface for five minutes. Roll into a ball. Cover loosely with dry cloth; set aside for 20 minutes. (You can wrap in plastic and freeze.)
6. Flatten and roll one ball of dough into a rectangle 1/4 inch thick. Spread butter generously over surface, then sprinkle with cinnamon (quantity to your taste). Roll into a spiral along the length of dough. Cut into 1 1/2 inch wide pieces. Repeat with the 3 other balls of dough.
7. Butter a large rectangular or square baking pan. Spread chopped walnuts evenly over pan. Fill with cinnamon rolls spiral up, one next to the other. Dissolve brown sugar in maple syrup in microwave for fifteen seconds. Pour maple syrup mixture over the entire surface of rolls.
8. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown tops.
Best served warm, with a glass of milk or good cup of coffee!