There is nothing better than a warm, spicy piece of corn bread as I sip my coffee while watching the orange-red sky brighten amidst these cool Moss Beach mornings. And, if you are awaking to negative freezing weather out East, a taste of this variant of corn bread will be sure to thaw your reluctant body.
This is a savory muffin-texture bread, with bacon bits and jalapeno peppers to give extra zing to the recipe, but you can choose whatever ingredients you wish. The foundation of this cake-bread remains the same, which makes it so versatile, not to mention easy for the frostiest cook.
Preheat oven to 350°F; line and grease a 9” square baking pan.
1 ½ cup cornmeal
1 ½ cup all purpose flour
¾ tsp salt
1/3 cup white sugar
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ cup (1 stick) melted butter
3 large eggs
1 ⅔ cup buttermilk (or 1 ⅔ cup whole milk + 1 tbps vinegar)
¼ cup chopped pickled jalapenos
¼ cup roughly chopped cooked bacon
(½ cup thawed or fresh corn kernels)
1. Combine dry ingredients first.
2. Whisk cooled melted butter, eggs, buttermilk together.
3. Add bacon, peppers, and corn kernels to flour mixture.
5. Add wet to dry, then mix until just combined.
6. Pour into pan, and bake for 25 – 30 minutes, checking to make sure not to overbake.
Serve with sour cream, yoghurt, or just alone. Mmmmm!
As we work on our ongoing projects, enjoy this with your favourite cup of joe!